CS Economy

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

CS Economy

Postby SaltineCrackerz » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:28 pm

Has anyone else noticed the steadily increasing pet trade value for monthly and common event pets recently? Any ideas what's going on with that?

Obviously not all pets are distributed equally and there are gonna be pets that are rarer and are therefore higher demand, and that happens all the time, but it feels like trades are steadily getting more and more extravagant as the weeks go on

People are trading older rares for the pps caterpillar from this month and store pets for the rainbow bwolf and otter pps and that's so interesting to me, I'm not trying to complain, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this!
SaltineCrackerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: CS Economy

Postby beautifulglitter » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:15 pm

My 2 cents:

Back in October-November of last year, staff put out a poll asking the community if they'd like regular litters to have higher rarity outcomes. Most people voted some form of “yes”. This has caused the fervor for new, rarer outcomes (that has been steadily increasing for the last couple years naturally) to reach even higher peaks than before. Before, despite however rabid the demand would get things tended not to get too out control because it was fairly common knowledge that even the rarest outcomes would very likely be nothing more than an uncommon. Now however, actual rares are potentially on the table. (Note: it was never really made clear when/if/how the changes would be made)

From what I gather, the prevailing argument for increasing rares in regular adopt litters was that it would give new players a chance to get rare pets.

I was one of those who opposed, and argued that it would leave new players at a total disadvantage, as older players (like myself) could easily throw old rares or C$ at problem outcomes, and new players likely could not. Also, for every rare outcome a player managed to get, they would likely need to trade for 2-3 others that they missed.

Another compounding factor is likely the new store pet set, which has outcomes that people seem to like, but is also priced at a surprise higher price. This has caused the demand for C$ to increase, which can also cause the C$ for regular outcomes to increase.

So put together the fears of rare outcomes + the high demand for C$ and you have the perfect storm for some insane values
Want to get transparent pet images? Follow these steps!
  1. You must own the pet in order for this to work!
  2. Go to the Scene (My Stuff->Dressup Scenes)
  3. Create a new Scene
  4. Go to the Pets tab and find the pet you want
  5. Right-click the pet->Copy Image Address
  6. Post away!
beautifulglitter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wookieinmashoo » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:55 am

I was offered a list pet for the candy alicorn from 2015. I was the only one who posted getting one and someone wanted it, despite it being in a locked group. I don't think anything has changed, I think we are just getting more rare/uncommon outcomes each month. I actually voted against this in the poll. I am fine with "uncommons" but anything rarer can just become frustrating.

I actually got 3 of the PPS caterpillars in my adopts and I have seen plenty around, so I have no idea why people are trading more for it.

I got curious so I'll edit this post with some interesting posts:

Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2570746&p=81935191&hilit=demand+Discussion+2015#p81935159

pets being complained about for demand when they were unknown rarity (2015):
ImageImage

Forum/viewtopic.phpf=20&t=2254926&p=70585198&hilit=demand+Discussion+unknown#p70585198
discussing pet (2014):

Generally PPS anything, rainbow colored, or a pet that looks different from its litter mates will have some kind of demand. Sometimes those outcomes are rarer which means not everyone will get one and causes people to become desperate
Last edited by Wookieinmashoo on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wookieinmashoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SaltineCrackerz » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:04 am

Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you for sharing your input!
SaltineCrackerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SmolDrago » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:13 am

Yeah, I think most of the problem is that people simply don't have patience for completing monthly collections lol, admittedly I'm guilty of this myself. People demand the new percievably rarer outcomes, and the people who get multiples of those outcomes hold onto them until they get some really high offers for them, making them look even rarer than they actually are.
Personally I'm in favor of the more rarer monthly outcomes- there are so few rares entering the modern CS pet stream that aren't just from events or the store, the only two I can think of in recent memory were the gacha dog and the one rat pps, and I think it's good for there to be more monthly rares so that everything isn't simply tied to event outcomes or to getting really old pets that a lot of new players or casual players (including me) don't really have the ability to get. In my mind anyway, event rares seem less valuable than monthly pet rares, because you can only adopt a set of monthly pets once. So I feel like that might provide a good buffer of rare pets between old rares and recent event pets? I dunno lol I'm not a good trade economist

The best thing for everyone to do is just be patient I suppose, and try to avoid FOMO as much as possible lol, though I know that's easier said than done. But there's always a crash in demand as soon as the rarities are released! ^^
I do think it's kind of funny that we've seen this much of an increase in trade inflation even after the implementation of the new rarity categories though, I feel like a lot of percievably 'rarer' pets probably are getting shifted to EUC than actual rares.
SmolDrago

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me